7 Attic Clean Out Tips
If the storage area of your attic is more chaos than it is order, then it’s time for an attic clean out! These 7 quick tips for cleaning out and organizing your attic will ensure that your items are stored properly and easily accessible when needed.
- Gather necessary supplies. Trash bags, a broom, dustpan, rags, cleaning solution, and a shop vac are a great help. Don’t forget storage boxes and/or shelving and a marker or label maker for clear storage of items that you’ll want to keep.
- Dress appropriately. Long pants and closed toe shoes are a good idea and don’t forget a dust mask to protect your lungs from the dust and debris that you may stir up in the attic clean out process.
- Identify and pull out the items that obviously need to go. Forgotten toys, broken mirrors, outdated decor, old clothing, unused furniture, and random boxes of junk? Pull them all out. If you won’t use it, it can go.
- Separate items you wish to use. Take items that you wish to remove from storage and use to the place in your home in which they will be used. Take clothing and linens straight to the wash. Wipe down furniture and take it to the appropriate room. Dust or clean decor and put in the desired place.
- Organize out of season items for safe storage. Place items in storage containers and label clearly. This will prevent you from having to dig through every box and make a big mess the next time you go looking for a specific item. An item is not worth keeping if you can’t store it safely and find it when you need it!
- Clean and inspect the attic space. Now that you’ve collected all trash & junk, cleaned items for immediate use, and properly stored the rest, the next step in your attic clean out is to use a broom/and or shop vac to clean up. Once the area is clean, you should be able to inspect for any possible leaks, pest infestation, mold, or other damage and address any problems effectively.
- Donate or dispose of unwanted items. Once your attic clean out is complete, you’ll need to tend to the items you removed. If you have items that are in good, usable condition, consider donating them to a local charity. Northwest Arkansas is fortunate to have many wonderful charities that can use your quality donations to care for our neighbors in need. Please consider these local options for your donations.
- Helping Hands– your donations support assistance to Benton County residents.
- Goodwill– funds raised support training, education, and employment within the community.
- Samaritan Shop– your donations help fund the community center that provides food and assistance to those in need.
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore– your donations of building supplies, furniture, appliances, and more supports their mission to build homes, community, and hope.
If you are left with unusable items and trash, Valet Trash Professionals can haul those things away. VTP can remove large or small items from your attic space or any other location on your property. Give us a call today for a free estimate and to schedule your attic clean up and junk removal. (479) 236-4981